TD124 mkII Project sn 64950
notes: shipped via UPS
Prior to disassembly:
I noticed that the strobe lit immediately. It took 30 seconds for the platter to come up to speed. The strobe did stabilize but seemed to hunt slightly and never hold a rock steady position. The speed shift - on/off knob was stiff and loud. When operated the linkage felt and sounded like it had been dry for quite some time. That was all I needed to know. I powered it down and began disassembly. This unit has been in storage for a long, long time. But somebody took care to not damage it, which makes this seem like an excellent specimen for refurbish.
But now there are some key parts that show considerable rust. This explains the stiff and noisy operation of the speed shift function.
Meantime. A TAD ML-2 plinth for this TD124 mkII has been ordered. It is under construction as I type.
Naval Jelly does dissolve rust. I've used it on 4 parts. The rust has eaten into this stepped pulley hub deeply.
Above: additional applications of Naval Jelly dissolve the remaining rust.
Cam follower roller/adjuster.
The roller was found rusted-stuck. (Egad!) This, no surprise, is the main reason the speed select operation was incredibly stiff and noisy. After Naval Jelly, then hours of soaking in various different weight oils, it now rolls smoothly and without resistance. The final lube in use is a Synthetic 75-140 differential lube. The cam follower is constantly under pressure.
The motor clean-up lube and assembly, already documented within this td124 department, has been followed here.
before with the 4 large diameter silicone pucks. The problem with the silicone pucks was that the pucks were spaced out on too large of a radius that entirely misses the clutch pressure plate on the underside of the upper platter.
new plinth with renewed td124 mkII
Above: client supplied cocobolo armboard cut to mount an SME IV.