Home

Analog Classifieds

User Manuals

Thorens Dept.

Garrard Gallery

Thorens Gallery

Systems Gallery

Lenco Gallery

SP-10 GALLERY

Articles and Reviews

Alignment FAQ

Interesting Vinyl

R2R Tape Gallery

Plinth Builder's Gallery

Idler Drive

Cartridge Gallery

Teres

What's Under Your Turntable

DIY Dept

Reading List

Links

 

Misc. Photo

 

10/30/06

Craig's Garrard 401

cc401_1010349.jpg (96331 bytes)

 
Craig's comments:
This is my new garrard 401 inset in a custom built ply plinth made by Neil Hollow from Ireland.
The set up consists of modified rb250 Denon DL103 cart c/w vinyl alignment cork mat& michell record clamp.
This plinth alone has made great improvements to overall performance and I would recommend his plinths to anyone 
considering he now has the design for the 401 from my being the first 401 he has design a plinth for. 
The motor itself has had upgrades by Martin Bastin. i.e. spindle rewire and complete service and is from 1964 era.
Please also take a look at my system set up on the systems gallery.
 
Icon Audio Stereo 40 Valve Amp 
Garrard 401/rb250/Denon103 
modified Project Tube Box upgraded valves
AudioNote dac zero transport + dac
Chord Company digital interconnect
Cable Talk symphony cable
JM Lab 906 Electra speakers
Something solid 4 tier rack plus custom made stands.
 

 

 

 

(old)Craig's Garrard 401

CC_401_2.jpg (79587 bytes) CC_401_3.jpg (69132 bytes)

garrard 401 (1964) RB250/DENON 103/MICHELL TECNOWEIGHT+ VTA

 

This has been my first attempt at restoring a garrard and has been a pleasure from start to finish. I brought the motor off Ebay... a bit risky but I was lucky.

I found a local woodworker who kindly built this solid ash plinth for me to my specification. In the meantime I sent the motor to Martin Bastin who kindly upgraded the bearing to his specification plus a few other little tweaks including a total rewire.

He described this particular model as having one of the best bearing for wear that had seen in a long time suggesting that it had only been used on the 45 setting this was music to my ears. After a 2 month wait for the motor I continued with the project and mounted the motor into 25mm mdf soaked in damar varnish which seals mdf making it more dense. I then placed this into the plinth mounted on carbon fibre pods from a company called something solid and these are used on the base of the plinth for isolation. The arm used is a modified rb250 with Michell Tecnoweight, vta & locking nut + denon 103 cartridge. For the budget I had for this project sound is very powerful & refined a sound that will never bore you. I will eventually experiment with arms & carts but that's part of the fun owning a Garrard.

 

My system is as follows:

vinyl = Garrard 401 rb250+ denon 103 + FUNK FIRM ACROMAT
amplification = Icon stereo 40 valve amp
phono stage = Project tube box (mullard valve upgrade)
cd transport = Audionote cd zero + dac
speakers JM Labs Electra 906 fed with Cable Talk Signature cable

CRAIG COX ENGLAND