back to Thorens Gallery
Monty Sexton's TD150
Custom plinth. RB300 tonearm with Shure mm cartridge.
hint; click on thumbnail to view full size image
- The plinth was replaced with a solid wood plinth made from 3/4" Zebra
wood, which is very dense.
- The bottom cover was replaced with 3/4" Birch plywood recessed
halfway into the plinth. Damping material was placed between where the
plinth areas make contact w/bottom cover.
- Externally mounted IEC male AC connector.
- Externally mounted 1/4" RCA phono jacks. (Great for trying
- The feet were replaced with 1" Iso Spikes in a 3-point
configuration. But I have decided to replace the spikes with
Clearaudio's Magix magnetic levitation isolation feet.
- Damping material was added to the sub-chassis to cut down resonance.
Main Chassis Modifications (top of table)
- Removed thin aluminum sheet metal, cueing & speed knobs, TP13A tonearm
and original armboard.
- Replaced metal cover with a new piece of very thin aluminum.
- Installed a toggle switch for On/Off.
- Installed new solid wood armboard (made from same wood as plinth) to exact
dimensions as original armboard.
Tonearm (TA) Modifications
- Replaced original TA w/a Rega RB300
- Replaced stock end stub & counterweight on the Rega w/a Michell
- Installed a VTA kit (setting the arm's VTA with this kit installed is a
- Installed a Shure M97 XE cartridge (I'm going back to an ADC real soon)
- New Thorens Stabilizer
- New Dust Shield (this is the same as those used on the new Thorens
After we add a Thorens Q-Up, strip & wrap the TA, do a TA rewire, and
dampen the main & sub platters I hope to be done with this project.
But then I have a whole new set of ideas for a TD166 that is waiting in the